About the Guest
Dr. Erin Kettlekamp is an associate veterinarian with Swine Vet Center and is based in southern Minnesota. She is a 2021 DVM graduate of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine. In practice, Erin enjoys collaborating on field research, consulting on biosecurity, and assisting producers in all areas of production.
Dr. Andy Holtcamp is a highly respected veterinarian, renowned for his contributions to animal health and biosecurity. He earned his Bachelor of Science in 1988 and his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1993, both from Mississippi State University. His career began with significant roles at Iowa Select Farms and Prestage Farms as a staff veterinarian, where he developed his expertise in managing the health of large livestock populations. Dr. Holtcamp’s professional journey further evolved at Bayer HealthCare in the Technical Service department, where he played a key role in advancing animal health products and disease prevention strategies. He then continued his impactful work at CEVA and is currently a consultant for Intervention Disinfectant, focusing on the development and application of disinfectants in animal health and biosecurity. His research has made substantial contributions to the field, particularly in protein production systems for cattle, poultry, and swine. Dr. Holtcamp has published various papers on topics such as the use of iron in pigs and the effects of enrofloxacin on different pathogens. A notable achievement in his career is pioneering the first HEPA filtered system for Boar Stud in the USA, which has set a new standard in swine industry biosecurity. Dr. Holtcamp’s work continues to have a significant impact on veterinary medicine and animal husbandry practices.
What can you expect to learn from this episode of Popular Pig?
- Learn about the current biosecurity risks in the swine transportation system.
- Gain insights into what a truck wash audit entails.
- Discover common oversights and potential opportunities identified during truck wash audits.
- Explore methods of assessing the effectiveness of sanitation practices in real-world scenarios.
- Discuss the increasing resilience of emerging viruses and whether there are concerns over the disinfectants currently in use.
- Dr. Erin Kettlekamp and Dr. Andy Holtcamp’s “golden nuggets”