About the Guest
Vivian Howard is an award-winning cookbook author, TV personality, chef, and restaurateur. Her first cookbook, Deep Run Roots: Stories & Recipes from My Corner of the South (2016), is a New York Times bestseller and was named “Cookbook of the Year” by the International Association of Culinary Professionals. She created and stars in public television shows Somewhere South and A Chef’s Life, for which she has won Peabody, Emmy and James Beard awards. Vivian runs the restaurants Chef & the Farmer in Kinston, NC; Benny’s Big Time in Wilmington, NC; Handy & Hot and Lenoir (opening December 2020) in Charleston, SC. In October 2020, Vivian released her second cookbook, This Will Make It Taste Good: A New Path to Simple Cooking.
What can you learn from this episode of Popular Pig?
- Vivian Howard’s Background and Journey to Food
- The role that the swine industry has played in her life
- How studying in Argentina and New York changed her perspective and goals
- How she started her restaurants and created the greatest food experience in Eastern North Carolina
- The amazing versatility of pork and how you can make it even better
- How to best compliment pork with other side dishes or cooking methods
- The missing link to greatly increase domestic pork consumption
- Vivian Howard’s “Golden Chop”