About the Guest
Tony Simpson brings more than 23 years of experience leading and investing in companies in agribusiness and animal health. In 2015, Tony founded AgTech Advisors, LLC, a consulting firm focused on supporting entrepreneurs and investors in the agtech sector. Previously, he served as a Managing Director for the Kansas Bioscience Authority where he led the organization’s investment efforts in agtech, animal health and bioenergy, leading investments in companies such as Aratana Therapeutics, Green Dot, SmartVet and Advanced Animal Diagnostics.
Before joining the KBA, he spent 9 years with POET Plant Management, where he started 2 major green-field ethanol plants and led equity drives and refinancing and expansion efforts for EXOL and Michigan Ethanol. Later, he led the US Ethanol Division for ED&F Man managing both plant operations as well as business development. Mr. Simpson began his career with ADM as a grain merchandiser, later moving to operations management as the Plant Manager of a wheat flour and bakery ingredient mill. Mr. Simpson serves on the board of directors of Green Dot Holdings, Advanced Animal Diagnostics, and the ATIP Foundation and is an observer to the SmartVet board. He serves as a Principal Advisor in the Larta Institute’s agricultural commercialization programs. Mr. Simpson holds an Economics Degree from Millikin University, an MBA from the Carlson School of Business (University of Minnesota-Minneapolis) and completed the Private Equity and Venture Capital Executive Education Program at Harvard.
What can you expect to learn from this episode of Popular Pig?
- Tony Simpson’s Journey: Discover the path that led Tony Simpson to a prominent role in agribusiness and animal health, including his most proud and challenging career moments.
- Current Role Insights: Gain an understanding of Simpson’s current position and impact in the field, shedding light on his day-to-day activities and overarching goals.
- Sector Evolution: Explore the latest trends and breakthrough innovations in animal agriculture that are shaping the industry and drawing the attention of venture capital.
- Strategic Investment Perspectives: Learn about the critical factors that influence venture capital investment decisions in animal agriculture companies.
- Foresight and Guidance: Hear Simpson’s vision for the future of animal agriculture and receive actionable advice for entrepreneurs and farmers looking to secure venture capital funding.